Youth Musical Theatre Program
Enhance your musical theatre skills and HAVE FUN alongside others who share the same dreams.
Now in its fifth year, the Drayton Entertainment Youth Musical Theatre Program is an auditioned training program designed to cultivate community, encourage leadership, ignite imagination, and boost confidence, while providing aspiring young performers with the opportunity to learn from professional theatre artists and develop a deeper appreciation for live performance. Students train with passionate industry professionals in singing, dancing, acting, audition technique and technical theatre.
The YMTP curriculum is made up of repertoire drawn from popular Broadway shows – past groups have worked on excerpts from such exciting shows as Wicked, Dear Evan Hansen, Frozen, Newsies, Kinky Boots and many more! Each year, students have also had the opportunity to attend guest artist workshops to learn more about the professional theatre world.
Explore the program offerings below and join us for an exciting summer of performing arts education.
One Week Program
Age Group: Pre-Teen (Ages 8 – 12)
Location: Huron Country Playhouse
Program Dates: Monday, July 13 to Friday, July 17 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a showcase at 4:00 p.m. on the Friday.
Three Week Pre-Professional Production Program
Age Group: Teen (Ages 13 – 18)
Location: Huron Country Playhouse
Pre-Professional Production Program: Frozen JR. in Concert
Program Dates: Monday, July 27 to Friday, August 7 (two weeks) from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with performances from Tuesday, August 11 to Saturday, August 15.
The Pre-Professional Production Program gives teen performers hands-on insight into how a musical is cast, rehearsed and performed while they work with a professional creative team to produce a concert version of Frozen JR. Associate Artistic Director David Connolly will direct and choreograph the production. Connolly’s impressive résumé includes work on major musicals like the pre-Broadway production of First Wives Club and numerous Drayton Entertainment productions like Disney's Newsies, Mamma Mia! and Hairspray!.
Based on the blockbuster animated film, Frozen JR. follows the stormy story of true love and acceptance between princess sisters Elsa and Anna. Burdened with an uncontrollable magical power, Elsa flees her home of Arendelle when she inadvertently causes the kingdom to become frozen, and nearly kills her sister. Fearless Anna joins forces with mountaineer Kristoff and his reindeer sidekick to find Elsa, break her icy spell, and save their kingdom from eternal winter.
Age Group: Pre-Teen/Teen (Ages 8 – 18)
Location: James Keating Elementary School, 20 Lorne Ave, Penetanguishene, ON L9M 1B2
Program Dates: Monday, July 20 to Friday, July 24 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with a showcase at 4:00 p.m. on the Friday.
Instructions1) Click here to sign up to audition!
2) Print a Youth Audition Form. Fill it out and bring it with you to the audition.
3) Bring a recent photo with you to the audition. A close face shot is best.
Please have this separate from your resume and audition form.
All auditioned programs have an approximate enrollment of 30 students per week in order to guarantee personal faculty-student attention.Things to Know When Auditioning for the Youth Musical Theatre Program
• Bring comfortable clothes and shoes.
• Be prepared to sing the song "We Are Family" by Sister Sledge (see sheet music below).
• Download “We Are Family” sheet music.
• Listen to "We Are Family" with lyrics.
• Listen to "We Are Family" melody.
Things to Know When Auditioning for The Drayton Entertainment Youth Musical Theatre Pre-Professional Production of Frozen JR.
• Print and fill out the Youth Audition Form and bring it with you.
• Bring a resume and a recent photo with you to the auditions. A close face shot is best for the photo.
• Comfortable clothes and shoes
• Everyone will learn a dance combination to be performed in small groups and be asked to sing one, 32-bar cut of a song in the style of the show. An accompanist will be provided, please bring sheet music in the correct key.
• Callbacks for roles will happen at a future date.
One Week Programs
$395+HST (One week)
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Three-Week Pre-Professional Production Program
$750+HST (Three weeks)
Monday - Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Friday 9:00 a.m. until after the 7:30 p.m. performance
Tuition includes program fee, a Drayton Entertainment theatre performance, and program T-shirt.
Full payment is required upon acceptance in order to hold a space.
Note: A fee of $20 will be charged for all NSF cheques.
Written notice is required for all training session withdrawals.
Refunds and Withdrawals
- If a student withdraws from a session eight weeks in advance of program start date they will receive a refund minus a $50 non-refundable administration fee.
- If a student withdraws from a session four weeks in advance of program start date they will receive a refund minus a $100 non-refundable administration fee.
- If a student withdraws from a session two weeks in advance of program start date they will receive a refund minus a $200 non-refundable administration fee.
- No refunds are issued if a student withdraws with less than two weeks to the start of the program.
- No refund will be offered if a student leaves once the program has begun.
Any student whose behaviour is deemed inappropriate by staff will be issued a warning with guardian notification. Should the behaviour continue after the warning, the student will be dismissed from the program with no refund.
We reserve the right to cancel entire program due to low enrolment. In that case, all participants will be fully refunded.Top Up Your Tuition
We believe the arts should be accessible to everyone regardless of financial position. Students who are accepted into the program may choose to "top up" their tuition to assist other disadvantaged students (anonymously) who are unable to afford the program fees. Because of this generosity, we are able to offer select students financial assistance in order to attend the program based on demonstrated need.
Tuition subsidy support for programs at the Hamilton Family Theatre Cambridge generously supported by: