Cinderella: The Panto
A Tradition for the Entire Family
Nov 23 to Dec 24, 2016
St. Jacobs Country PlayhouseThe enduring fairy tale gets a clever and contemporary makeover in this glittering stage production that features all the classic elements you remember – the pumpkin, glass slipper, masked ball … plus some unexpected and surprising new twists!
With its winning combination of incredible musical numbers, fun-filled comedy, double entendres, outrageous costumes, and audience participation, Cinderella will cast its magical spell on everyone from the age of 3 to 103.
So join us at the St. Jacobs Country Playhouse this holiday season, and don’t worry – we’ll have you home well before the stroke of midnight!
St. Jacobs Country Playhouse
40 Benjamin Road East
Waterloo, ON N2V 2J9
Appropriate for all ages
2 hours and 30 minutes with one intermission
By Caroline Smith
Orchestrations & Vocal Arrangements by Nico Rhodes
Directed & Choreographed by David Connolly
Music Direction by Marion Abbott
Meet The ArtistsClick on the photo to learn more about each artist.
The Company(in alphabetical order)
Back Row, (left to right)
Joe Huggins, Kylee Milmine, Rylie Welds, Meg Starra, Amber McNeil, Kevin Fontyn, Connor Johannes, Lauren Hastings, Rachel McClymont, Tori Arseneault, Emily Adam, Taylor Gignac
Mackenzie Wright, Lucas McKenna, Julia Raza, Tyah Cabral, Casey Kram, Faith Vanderwerf, Neve Storozuk, Ronan Hayes
Annika Anstett Archibald, Brent McCready-Branch, Carlee Mackenzie, Aaliyah Crozier, Kyla Wallbank, Kate Barry, Tyler Wilkie, Katie Stehlik
The Creative Team
Assistant Stage Manager
Apprentice Stage Manager
Children's Chorus Dance Captain
Music Director/Keys I
What is a Panto?
Traditionally performed at Christmas, British panto is now a popular form of theatre, incorporating song, dance, comedy, audience participation and mild suggestive innuendo. Plots are usually based on children's stories and fairy tales. This production retells the famous tale of Cinderella.
Panto combines many elements of theatre. Novelty has always been at the forefront, and panto does encompass current affairs within its structured framework. People talk about "traditional panto,” but to remain popular, this form of theatre has had to keep its eye firmly on modern trends. By weaving these into its format, it remains one of the most popular forms of entertainment – especially for families.
A panto must include a strong storyline. The fable or fairy tale has to be well told, incorporating the all important elements of good battling against evil, and emerging triumphant. One of the essentials of panto is audience participation. The audience is encouraged to get involved in the story by booing the evil Stepmother and Stepsisters and cheering loudly for the heroine.
Photo credits: Danielle Wade and Jamie McKnight and Full Company in Cinderella, 2016
Photographer: Hilary Gauld Camilleri
Photo credits: Jackie Mustakas, Aidan DeSalaiz, Justin Bott, Danielle Wade, Jamie McKnight and Company in Cinderella, 2016
Photographer: Hilary Gauld Camilleri
- "The art of British panto combines three main elements: skilled musical theatre performers, pop music and lots of humour. In these three elements, Drayton Entertainment's production of "Cinderella: The Panto" scores top marks." - Waterloo Region Record
- "Drayton Entertainment has hit the mark again, with a panto that offers lots of fun for the wee ones and enough laughs to keep Mom and Dad or Grandma and Grandpa entertained." - Entertain This Thought
- “We saw the Cinderella matinee on Saturday past with two granddaughters and we all had a blast. The subtle snippets for adults only were hilarious. All performers clearly love what they do, as is reflected in their performances, particularly Danielle, Jamie, Justin, Matt, Tim, Geoffrey, Jackie with boundless energy and Jenni who brings so much personality to her role and performance. After the show there were only smiling faces. We also enjoyed every minute of it.” - Hartmut Kayser and Helen Leifso
- Dreams come true and the shoe fits in magical fairy tale panto at St. Jacobs Country Playhouse Read more
- Local young performers on stage in magical panto at St. Jacobs Country Playhouse Read more
- Timeless Fairy Tale Panto Arrives for the Holiday Season at St. Jacobs Country Playhouse Read more
- Youth Auditions Announced for Holiday Panto Read more